When the family system is treated as a whole, it helps individuals within the group to feel understood. Whatever the challenges, family therapy can help.Read more
What are Relationships Issues?
Every couple experiences issues in their relationship every once in awhile. No couple, no matter how well-suited, goes without times of struggle. Sometimes, couples are able to resolve their challenges and get back to enjoying life together. However, if concerns, challenges, and issues are left unresolved they can turn into marital dysfunction, which can lead to chronic conflict, blaming, separation, and ultimately, divorce. For the individuals in the marriage, these issues can seriously and negatively impact physical and mental health.
There are many different reasons why couples struggle in their relationship. Some of the reasons why marital dysfunction arises may include:
- Financial challenges
- Mental illness
- Physical health issues
- Employment challenges
- Death of a loved one
- Physical, verbal, and/or psychological abuse
Signs of Marital Dysfunction
Marriage can be rewarding, but also equally challenging. Sometimes, the issues and concerns that a couple experiences become ingrained in the identity of their relationship; the couple may think that the pain, hurt, and unhappiness they’re experiencing is “normal” for a marriage, and thus does not require attention and change.
Some signs that your relationship may be struggling includes, but are not limited to:
- Recurrence of the same argument/fight, without resolution
- Arguments that escalate into fights, without resolution
- Avoidance of issues/ignoring each other
- Less meaningful time spent together
- Little to no intimacy
- Constantly blaming each other
- Keeping track of things your partner has done wrong
- Keeping secrets from each other
- Thinking about having an affair
Resolving Marital Dysfunction
Marriage and couple counselling is a form of psychotherapy that has the couple meet with a qualified mental health professional toward the goal of resolving the concerns and conflicts in the relationship, and restoring trust and communication.
Some ways that marriage and couples counselling can help your relationship include:
- Identify the issues, concerns, and challenges
- Identify each person’s needs in the relationship
- Improve communication
- Resolve conflicts sustainably
- Build positive coping strategies in the face of stress
- Restore a meaningful bond
- Restore mutual trust
Dalton Associates can help you find a mental health professional that has expertise in the challenges you and your spouse are experiencing, who is also a personal and cultural fit.