To provide specialized and quality assured, mental health and wellness services that are culturally sensitive, safe, accessible, and timely, within communities throughout Ontario.
Our Unique Services Include:
- Fee coverage by most third-party health insurance plans
- No waiting lists
- 200+ mental health professionals
- Services throughout Ontario
- 30+ languages spoken
- Distance counselling options
Our purpose is to provide accessible psychological services in Ontario.
Providing Accessible Psychological Services
Few people today would question the value or utility of psychological services. With over 100 years of scientific research and clinical experience, psychology has demonstrated its ability to help individuals, couples, families and groups to overcome problems. There is no doubt, that whether one encounters difficulties that are personal to oneself or that are embedded in one’s social and community relationships, psychological assessment and treatment can help.
Day to day stressors, which most of us encounter through living in a dynamic and complex society, can be challenging. The continuous exposure to such stressors will often result in serious physical, social and emotional symptoms that require assessment and treatment by a psychological professional.
De-stigmatizing Mental Illness
Moving forward we need to provide a wider open door to marginalized populations and to join others in the de-stigmatization of mental illness.
Over the past two decades, Dalton Associates has built a strong and supportive group practice. With more than 200 mental health service providers delivering accessible, quality care, we are able to provide a “one stop shop” service delivery model in over 70 communities across Southern Ontario.
Moving forward we need to provide a wider open door to marginalized populations and to join others in the de-stigmatization of mental illness. To achieve this, we are committed to the following initiatives:
- Recognizing that psychological and counselling services are often not accessible to individuals, couples, and families simply because of language, location, race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or disability. The provision of counselling will be delivered with an appreciation and validation of lifestyles and belief systems.
- Working together with public and private institutions and other healthcare providers to provide seamless psychological, counselling and assessment services. This will reduce wait times, simplify navigation, and facilitate timely access to needed services.
- Utilizing advanced and secure technology to reach out to populations and individuals who are unable to access traditional service models. It both increases accessibility and reduces costs for clients.
We believe it is our responsibility to provide and enhance access to mental health care for clients and communities whose need continues to grow. Dalton Associates is ready to meet this challenge.
Supervised Psychological Services
Problems of Accessibility
Accessing psychological services, however, remains a matter of public concern. In the province of Ontario, psychological services are, in general, not covered by OHIP. Although psychological services are often covered by extended health insurance plans, this coverage is very limited and often inaccessible.
Ontario has a population of 13.3 million residents and 3,200 Psychologists and Psychological Associates are available to serve them. This represents a ratio of one Psychologist/Psychological Associate to 4,000 residents (1/4,000). To even consider this ratio as adequate would be a gross underestimation of the need and fails to recognize the pain and suffering people experience as a result of psychological difficulties.
All too often the accessing of psychological services is hampered by the following obstacles:
• Not knowing where or how to find them
• Long waiting lists
• One or more hours of travel
• Fees that are cost prohibited
• Finding someone with the right language and cultural fit
• Finding someone with the right clinical qualifications and the right personal fit
• Inconvenient schedule for appointments
Dalton Associates Response: Supervised Psychological Services
We believe that the residents of Ontario should have access to psychological services that are readily available to them. We believe that we have a responsibility to do whatever is possible to facilitate community access to these necessary services.
In our commitment to provide services to our clients, we have adopted a supervised practice model that assures both quality and accessibility. All mental health professionals found on this website, though not a Doctor and not registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, have the required training to deliver psychological services under the supervision of a Psychologist or Psychological Associate.
In order to accomplish this goal, we have assembled together a team of 200+ mental health professionals, including psychologists, psychological associates, social workers, psychotherapists, psychometrists, marriage and family counsellors, child and youth workers, etc. In addition, we have established a website that assists clients in finding and selecting a therapist that can fit their needs both clinically and geographically.
In these ways, we have made every effort to minimize waitlists and maximize the accessibility to Psychological services.
When you need help, you should not have to wait. The additional benefit is that help is close to home.